Call For Entry
7th Annual Members' ONLY online Juried Exhibition
The Call for Entry is now open. You must be a member of Pastel Artists.CA to enter this exhibition. Acceptance into this exhibition qualifies towards signature status.
Enter Now to be part of our Online Exhibition
The exhibition opens December 1, 2019 on our webwsite
First Place $300
Second Place $200
Third Place $100
5 Honorable Mentions $50 each
Clarence Porter PAC, MPAC
- Digital files must be in JPG (jpeg) format. Please ensure that the extension attached to the image file is .jpg. No other formats will be accepted. Only the image visible, no frames, mats etc. Make sure the image is level.
- Images must have a resolution between 1920 and 2400 pixels on its longest side. File size should be no smaller than 500 kb and no larger than 2MB.
- Each image file name must be as follows: last name,first name,title, size (in inches).jpg. example: Smith,Mary,Spring Meadow,14×16.jpg
Jury fee is $10 per image. Maximum of 3 images
September 15: Open for Submission
October 31: Submission Deadline
November 20: Notifications Emailed
November 30: Award Notification
December 1: Exhibition Online
Meet our Juror: Clarence Porter
Clarence calls his art “playing” and his creations flow from his toy box full of pastel colours for the viewer’s enjoyment. In his art, colours, shapes and patterns all occupy the same importance. He lets the contrast of light and shadow separate them. “I hope that my art gives the viewer pause to reflect on a moment in time that I cherished, frozen in pastel pigments”.
While his focus is now on painting with pastels, he began his career as an agency art director and then spent many years in Toronto as a freelance commercial illustrator working in a broad range of media. After relocating to Hamilton, Clarence started working with pastels for his own enjoyment. In 2006 Clarence was juried into the 15th Annual Purely Pastels Exhibition at the Art Gallery of Hamilton where he received a Honourable Mention. That was the spark he needed and since then he hasn’t looked back.
Clarence’s work has been juried into multiple group exhibitions where some have won honours including the Ursula Reese Grand Prize. He has also had 4 solo shows. His work has been collected locally and internationally. He received his Master Pastel Artist of Canada (MPAC) signature designation from Pastel Artists Canada in 2014 and was elected a Signature Member of the Pastel Society of America (PSA) in 2016. He is also a member of the International Association of Pastel Societies.
Clarence teaches courses in soft pastels as an occasional instructor at the Art Gallery of Hamilton, the Aurora Cultural Centre and other venues”. Clarence also teaches introductory pastel courses at the Dundas Valley School of Art. “I also gain additional inspiration as a part-time instructor in the Visual and Creative Arts Department at Sheridan College where I enjoy interacting with young creative minds”.
- Entry is online using the form below. Entry is not confirmed until submission is complete and payment is received
- Open to PAC members in good standing working in soft pastel.
- A maximum of 3 digital images (jpg), by any one artist, may be entered.
- Entries do not need to be for sale.
- All works must be original and created within the last 3 years, and not shown in any previous PAC show (online or physical show).
- Traditional soft pastels only—no oil pastels. The essential qualities of the painting must have been achieved with soft pastel and the final finishing layers of the painting must consist of predominantly soft pastel.
- Classroom or workshop work as well as copies of the work of other artists are not eligible
- Works created/painted on top of a base photo, print or other mechanical reproduction are not eligible.
- Works based on professional or published photographs are not eligible (Note: this includes calendar photos).
- Works based solely on photographs in the public domain or with creative commons licenses are highly discouraged, and the original photographer must be credited in the work’s title. They may be subject to disqualification at the juror’s discretion.
- Failure to comply with these rules will result in the works being disqualified without notice or refund, and may result in the artist being barred from entering future PAC exhibitions.
- A non-refundable fee of $10 per image for a maximum of 3 images.
- Deadline: Entries to be received no later than October 31, 2019.
- Notification of accepted work will be emailed no later than November 20, 2019.
- The Juror’s decision is final. No entry may be withdrawn once it has been accepted. No titles or prices may be changed.
- Your entry into this exhibition constitutes agreement for PAC to reproduce your accepted artwork for exhibition promotion purposes, and on its website.
- Non members who submit entries must either register as a member or they will forfeit the applicable jury fee.
Ready to Enter?
If you have read the call and are ready to enter complete the following submission form.
Check your image files
Entry and image Submission Form
Required fields are indicated with a red asterisk. You must read and agree to the terms by selecting the I agree to the terms option button in order to Submit your images and pay the jury fee. Once your entry has been submitted, it cannot be changed.