Purely Pastel Call For Entry
30th Annual Open Juried Exhibition
The Call for Entry is now open. You do NOT need to be a member of Pastel Artists.CA to enter this exhibition. Acceptance into this exhibition qualifies towards signature status.
Enter Now to be part of our Purely Pastel Exhibition
May 3 – 16, 2021
1241 Cartwright St, Vancouver BC
2020 Ursula Reese Grand Prize winner: Izabel Dagenais “Maree Basse”
Ursula Reese Grand Prize: $500
8 Additional Major awards totalling over $1000 in cash and prizes
New Entry System
Pastel Artists.CA has switched to a new online submission system. All entries must be submitted through EntryThingy. You can download a How To use EntryThingy document below.
Entry Fees & Commission
- All entries must be for sale
- All sales are subject to a 15% commission
- PAC Members: A non-refundable fee of $15 per image for up to 3 images
- Non-members: A non-refundable fee of $20 per image for up to 3 images. Non-members who submit entries at the member price may be disqualified and their entry fee forfeited
- Maximum of 3 images
- Digital files must be in JPG (jpeg) format. Please ensure that the extension attached to the image file is .jpg. No other formats will be accepted. Only the image visible, no frames, mats etc. Make sure the image is level.
- Images must have a resolution between 1920 and 2400 pixels on its longest side. File size should be no smaller than 500 kb and no larger than 2MB.
- Images that don’t meet these specifications may fail to upload.
February 1, 2021: Open for Submission
March 19, 2021: Submission Deadline
March 26 2021: Notifications Emailed
April 29 2021: Delivery Deadline
TBD: Date to pick up work
TBD: Award Notification
Entry Conditions & Eligibility
- PAC is using EntryThingy for submission entry. A How To Guide can be downloaded form the call page on our website at pastelartists.ca . Entry is not confirmed until submission is complete and payment is received
- Open to all artists working in soft pastel
- A maximum of 3 digital images (jpg), by any one artist, may be entered.
- All entries must be for sale. All sales are subject to a 15% commission
- All works must be original and created within the last 3 years (after February 1, 2018), and not shown in any previous PAC show (online or gallery show).
- Entry fees: Members $15 per image for up to 3 images, Non-members $20 per image for up to 3 images. Payable through PayPal as part of the submission process. Non-members who submit entries at the member price may be disqualified and their jury fee forfeited.
- Traditional soft pastels only—no oil pastels. The essential qualities of the painting must have been achieved with soft pastel and the final finishing layers of the painting must consist of predominantly soft pastel.
- Classroom or workshop work as well as copies of the work of other artists are not eligible.
- Works created/painted on top of a base photo, print or other mechanical reproduction are not eligible.
- Works based on photographic references must only be from your own original photography. Work based on photographs taken by someone other than yourself, whether professional or not are not permitted. This includes any image found on the internet, regardless of whether they are copyright free or in the public domain.
- Failure to comply with these rules will result in the works being disqualified without notice or refund and may result in the artist being barred from entering future PAC exhibitions.
- The Jurors’ decision is final.
- Your entry in this exhibition constitutes an agreement to all conditions as stated.
- Neither PAC or the Federation Gallery, their officers or employees will be responsible for loss or damage to paintings, however caused.
Shipping/delivery and other information will be provided to accepted artists at a later date.
Meet our JurorS
Christine Camilleri, AFCA, MPAC EP, IAPS M/C works in pastels, acrylics and oils. Her paintings are known for their bold use of color and design. She enjoys landscape, seascape and wildlife paintings.
She has received over a dozen awards, had paintings exhibited internationally and was a finalist for her bison painting “Summer Pastures” in The Artist’s Magazine’s 26th Annual Art Competition. In December 2016 she was featured in a Pastel Journal article, “Artists to Watch”.
“I don’t know what I enjoy more — painting — or the delighted reaction of the viewer. I try to capture what I felt when I decided to paint that subject in that particular way. It’s quite rewarding when it’s both.”
Her other passion is teaching art and demystifying the painting process making creating art more accessible to people.
She lives in Chilliwack, BC and besides painting enjoys flyfishing, hiking, backpacking and curling.
Drawing and painting have always been a big part of my life starting at a very young age.
I am pretty much self-taught but have taken a few workshops here in BC with a variety of instructors including Dianna Ponting and Alan Wylie. My favourite subject matter to paint include birds and animals along with old, abandoned vehicles and antique objects. I paint in a realistic style as I love to challenge myself with the detail.
I am a graduate of a Commercial Art & Photography program taken at a trade school in Manitoba. I have worked as a graphic and commercial artist in the newspaper and printing fields. I have taught for three years the Adobe Illustrator art program at night school in Surrey, BC. I now teach pastel techniques through workshops in my art studio here in Surrey, BC.
My most recent works feature the use of chiaroscuro, the interplay of light and dark.
I find myself going out with camera in hand, exploring the remnants of days gone by visiting old forts and museums along with zoos and wildlife park both here and in the US for my subject matter. My art has been sold in a variety of venues and is now proudly displayed in private collections abroad. I now teach pastel techniques through workshops in my art studio here in Surrey, BC.
Gail Sibley MPAC
Artist and instructor Gail Sibley balances art-making with creating content for her well-respected blog – HowToPastel.com – and her online art membership IGNITE! at GailsibleyArtSchool.com. She loves to travel (severely curtailed in 2020!) and combines that with her love of teaching by offering workshops worldwide in locations such as Spain, Croatia, and Italy. She hopes her October 2021 workshop in Tasmania goes ahead! Plans are afoot for workshops in Italy, UK, and Costa Rica in 2022. She will also be teaching at IAPS that year. Gail has exhibited regularly through the years in national and international shows, and has been honoured by media reviews and awards. Born and brought up in Jamaica, Gail now enjoys the temperate climate of Victoria, BC with her partner Cam. She’s always open to a glass of wine or craft beer with family or friends.
Use button above to download the Call for Entry for Entry Conditions and full details
Ready to Enter?
If you have read the call and are ready to enter complete the following submission form.
Check your image files
Entry and image SubmissioN
Pastel Artists.CA is now using an online submission system for our exhibition entry calls. If you have used EntryThingy before, simply log in below and you’ll see our call.
If you haven’t used EntryThingy before, you will need to create an account using the form below. You can download this document for information and instructions on how to use EntryThingy.