Purely Pastel Call For Entry
31st Annual Open Juried Exhibition
The Call for Entry is now open. You do NOT need to be a member of Pastel Artists.CA to enter this exhibition. Acceptance into this exhibition qualifies towards signature status.
Enter Now to be part of our Purely Pastel Exhibition
May 31st to June 18th, 2022
Neilson Park Creative Centre
56 Neilson Drive, Etobicoke, ON M9C1V7
2021 Ursula Reese Grand Prize winner: Roberta Combs ‘Catching Rays’
Ursula Reese Grand Prize: $500
8 Additional Major awards totalling over $1000 in cash and prizes
New Entry System
Pastel Artists.CA has switched to a new online submission system. All entries must be submitted through EntryThingy. You can download a How To use EntryThingy document below.
Entry Fees & Commission
- All entries must be for sale
- All sales are subject to a 15% commission
- PAC Members: A non-refundable fee of $15 per image for up to 3 images
- Non-members: A non-refundable fee of $20 per image for up to 3 images. Non-members who submit entries at the member price may be disqualified and their entry fee forfeited
- Maximum of 3 images
- Payable through PayPal as part of the submission process. Note, you do not need a PayPal account; you can use a credit card
- Digital files must be in JPG (jpeg) format. Please ensure that the extension attached to the image file is .jpg. No other formats will be accepted.
- Only the image is be visible: no frames, mats etc.
- Make sure the image is level.
- Images must have a resolution between 1920 and 2400 pixels on its longest side. File size should be no smaller than 500 kb and no larger than 2MB.
- Images that don’t meet these specifications may fail to upload.
April 3, 2022: Submission Deadline
April 17, 2022: Notifications Emailed
May 27, 2022: Shipping Deadline
June 18, 2022: Date to pick up work
TBD: Award Notification
Entry Conditions & Eligibility
- PAC is using EntryThingy for submission entry. A How To Guide can be downloaded form from the “How to Document” link above.
- Entry is not confirmed until submission is complete and payment is received
- Open to all artists working in soft pastel. Traditional soft pastels not oil. The essential qualities of the painting must have been achieved with soft pastel and the final finishing layers of the painting must consist of predominantly soft pastel.
- A maximum of 3 digital images (jpg), by any one artist, may be entered.
- NOTE : Due to the gallery space limitation of a maximum of 50 paintings, only one painting per artist can be accepted.
- All works must be original and created within the last 3 years (after February 1, 2019), and not shown in any previous PAC show (online or gallery show).
- Traditional soft pastels only—no oil pastels. The essential qualities of the painting must have been achieved with soft pastel and the final finishing layers of the painting must consist of predominantly soft pastel.
- Classroom or workshop work as well as copies of the work of other artists are not eligible.
- Works created/painted on top of a base photo, print or other mechanical reproduction are not eligible.
- Works based on photographic references must only be from your own original photography. Work based on photographs taken by someone other than yourself, whether professional or not are not permitted. This includes any image found on the internet, regardless of whether they are copyright free or in the public domain.
- Failure to comply with these rules will result in the works being disqualified without notice or refund and may result in the artist being barred from entering future PAC exhibitions.
- The Jurors’ decision is final.
- Your entry in this exhibition constitutes an agreement to all conditions as stated.
- Neither PAC nor the exhibition gallery centre, their officers or employees will be responsible for loss or damage to paintings, however caused.
- Shipping/delivery and other information will be provided to accepted artists at a later date.
Meet our JurorS
Roberta Combs paintings have been featured in such publications as International Artists Magazine, Southwest Art Magazine, and the Pastel Journal Magazine. She has exhibited in the Butler Institute of American Art, the American Art Company, the National Arts Club Gallery and the Salmagundi Club in New York City, the Vose Gallery in Boston as well as France and Italy.
Roberta has been awarded Senior Signature Status in the Federation of Canadian Artists and the Northwest Pastel Society; is an Eminent Pastelist of the Pastel Artists Canada and is one of only six Canadians to be a Gold Medal recipient from the International Association of Pastel Societies, recognizing her designation as an artist of the Master Circle. Roberta is also the only Canadian artist awarded Master Status in the Pastel Society of America.
Combs is also a featured artist in the Northlight book, Pure Pastel: Contemporary Works by Today’s Top Artists.
Cathy is a representational artist working almost exclusively in the pastel medium. Her studies in pastel began at local art centres and have continued, through the years, participating in workshops with many esteemed American and Canadian pastel artists. She is a Signature and Master member of PastelArtistsCa. (PAC), has Signature status with the Pastel Society of Eastern Canada (PSEC) and is an Active member with the Federation of Canadian Artists. Her work has appeared in solo and group exhibitions in both Canada and the U.S.
Cathy’s subject of choice is primarily landscape and her impressionistic scenes often depict a particular viewpoint, focusing on the play of shapes and the patterns of light, line or movement, in order to convey what it was about each particular scene that caught her eye or invoked an emotional response.
Kira Sokolovskaia MPAC
Kira was born in Moscow, Russia, but grew up in a rural area where she was surrounded by forests, fields, and streams. Since then, her major love is nature, although she likes to show the beauty of the everyday world around her, too. She is mainly stricken by composition first, and then by the color- and these two objects inspire her imagination. She describes her style mostly as “contemporary impressionism”.
Kira received her formal academic education in Russia, in the Stroganov Moscow State University of Arts and Industry, graphic arts faculty. Kira is a member of the Society of Russian Artists, an active member of the Federation of Canadian Artists, Master Pastelist in Pastel Artists of Canada, and Burnaby Artists Guild member. Kira also works as an illustrator, where she uses various techniques, sometimes including pastels, collage, and digital media. Kira has two websites for representation: www.culufin.com for her Fine Art, and www.kiradraws.com for her illustrations.
Use button above to download the Call for Entry, Conditions and full details
Ready to Enter?
If you have read the call and are ready to enter complete the following submission form.
Check your image files
Entry and image SubmissioN
Pastel Artists.CA is now using an online submission system for our exhibition entry calls. If you have used EntryThingy before, simply log in below and you’ll see our call.
If you haven’t used EntryThingy before, you will need to create an account using the form below. You can download this document for information and instructions on how to use EntryThingy.
Once your submission is entered, it cannot be changed.
Enter all required fields. There is a new field this year titled ‘Signature Status’. If you have signature status please ensure you complete this field, if you wish it to be associated with your name (A maximum of 4 credentials will be used in both printed and online identification, should your work be accepted…i.e. Jill Smith, MPAC, SCA, IAPS, AFCA)
Please direct any questions to the Submissions Coordinator: Kathy Dolan (email@example.com)